0800 2797944
  • Birmingham 01217962342
  • Coventry 02477710040
  • Derby 01332497138
  • Guildford 01483663350
  • Hinckley 01455249446
  • Leicester 01162626037
  • Melton Mowbray 01664491730
  • Northampton 01604215928
  • Oxford 01865686330
  • Peterborough 01733796190
  • St Albans 01727223408
  • Slough 01895379940
Book your DCPC courses online Course Calculator Latest News


Heavy vehicles needing an annual test for the first time

Heavy vehicles needing an annual test for the first time Certain vehicles with heavy goods chassis will need to have had an annual test by 20 May 2019 to remain legal on Britain’s roads. This is because some heavy goods vehicles lost their test exemption in May 2018 and came into the scope of test. Vehicles must now pass an annual test before the next vehicle tax renewal is due. Vehicles now needing a test certificate include: • mobile cranes • breakdown vehicles (not breakdown vans) • tower wagons • some mobile engineering plants • some trailers designed for the production of asphalt • road construction vehicles (not road rollers) • electrically propelled motor vehicles first registered since 1 March 2015 • tractor units pulling exempt trailers • certain motor tractors and heavy and light locomotives exempted under sections 185 and 186 (3) of the Road Traffic Act 1988, where these are based on an HGV chassis They will then need a test every year after their first test Guidance Heavy goods vehicles: phased roll-out of annual tests from May 2018 When to get certain heavy vehicles tested if they stopped being exempt from testing on 20 May 2018, records to keep, and safety inspections that must be done. Overview Some heavy vehicles (based on a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) chassis) stopped being exempt from needing an annual test on 20 May 2018. For some of these vehicles, you have up until the date your vehicle tax renewal is due to get it tested for the first time. This is known as the ‘phased approach’. However, other vehicles need...

Requirements for UK bus and coach drivers when driving abroad from 29 March 2019

From 28 March 2019, bus and coach drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK bus and coach drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA. Community licences and the Interbus Agreement Currently, UK bus and coach operators carrying out international journeys must hold a standard international operator’s licence and a community licence for journeys to, from or through the EU and EEA. As a member of the EU, the UK participates in the Interbus Agreement. This agreement allows bus and coach operators to carry out occasional services between the EU and 7 eastern European countries. From 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, EU countries may not recognise UK issued community licences. The UK’s participation in the Interbus Agreement through EU membership would also cease. The UK intends to re-join Interbus as an independent member on 29 March 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter. This would enable UK operators to run occasional services (coach holidays and tours) into the EU. There are plans to extend the Interbus Agreement to provide for regular services (scheduled international coach services), but this has not taken effect yet. The Interbus Agreement does not allow cabotage. So, a UK operator would not be able to pick up and drop off the same passengers within the EU. If necessary, the UK will also seek to put in place bilateral agreements with countries at the earliest opportunity to provide bus and coach access to the EU....

Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit: lorry and goods vehicle drivers

What truck and lorry drivers from the UK may need to do to drive in the EU and EEA when the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019. Requirements for UK goods vehicle drivers driving abroad from 29 March 2019 From 28 March 2019, lorry and truck drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA. This includes registering certain trailers with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and carrying a trailer registration certificate. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK lorry and truck drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA. Community licences and ECMT permits Currently, UK lorry drivers carrying out international journeys must have a standard international operator’s licence along with a community licence for journeys to, from or through the EU and EEA. Vehicles under 3.5 tonnes (including vans) and drivers operating on own account (carrying their own goods) do not need an international operator’s licence or Driver CPC. If there is no EU Exit deal EU and EEA countries may not recognise UK issued community licences from 29 March 2019 if there is no EU Exit deal. If that happens, the UK government is confident it can negotiate new bilateral agreements or reinstate old ones with EU countries to provide haulage access. However, ECMT international road haulage permits will allow UK operators to drive in the EU and EEA (except Cyprus) if UK issued community licences are not recognised. ECMT permits are also recognised in 15 other countries. There are limited numbers of annual and...

HGV Road User Levy

Details of how to pay the HGV road user levy and background information on the levy. The HGV Road User Levy applies to heavy goods vehicles (HGV) of 12 tonnes or more. The aim of the levy is to ensure these vehicles contribute to the wear and tear of the road network. The levy amount varies according to the vehicle’s weight, axle configuration and levy duration. Pay the HGV Levy. On 28 March 2018, the Roads Minister announced changes to the HGV levy so that from 1 February 2019 haulage firms will benefit from a cheaper road user levy if they use less polluting lorries. The newest lorries generate 80% less nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions than older ones, so lorries meeting the latest Euro VI emissions standards are now eligible for a 10% reduction in the cost of the Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) Levy. Euro Class V and older vehicles are required to pay up to 20% more. The legislative changes to allow these rate changes were brought in as part of the 2019 Finance Bill introduced in the Budget on 29 October 2018 (in particular, see number 61 of the Budget resolutions (PDF, 168KB). On the 22 November 2017 the Chancellor announced in the Autumn Budget that there would be an open call for evidence on reforming the HGV Levy. UK registered vehicles Payments are collected by the DVLA. UK registered vehicles pay levy costs at the same time and in the same transaction as vehicle excise duty (VED). Changes to VED were announced by the Chancellor in the March 2013 Budget and were made in the Finance...

Office of the Traffic Commissioner: Fronting: know the risks

Fronting: know the risks Recent case shows need for operators and TMs to be vigilant In 2017/18, 110 operators and 144 transport managers were disqualified by traffic commissioners. Those orders were made to stop individuals overseeing vehicle operations for a certain period of time – and in the worst cases indefinitely. Legitimate on paper Some people ignore the ban they’ve been given and carry on operating illegally. Others try to hide what they’re doing through a ‘front’. This might be a business which looks legitimate on paper and isn’t connected to the banned operator. Or it might be the disqualified person’s got a silent connection to an existing licence holder. Taking action That silent connection is a major risk for any legitimate operator and transport manager. It’s the exact situation a transport manager in the North East recently faced. The operator he worked for hired vehicles and contracted maintenance to businesses which were run by an individual banned from operating until 2028. The transport manager was given instructions and paid by the disqualified operator – not the licence holder – and didn’t have a contract of employment. He was prevented from carrying out his duties as TM and even asked to move vehicles for the banned operator’s company. The TM left the business because he wasn’t able to do his job. The true operator The Traffic Commissioner, Tim Blackmore, took no action against the transport manager at public inquiry. He recognised that the TM acted to quickly remove himself from the ‘front’ operation. The licence holder didn’t show up for the inquiry. After hearing evidence from a DVSA vehicle...

Office of The Traffic Commissioner: Driver daily walkaround leaflets updated

Driver daily walkaround leaflets updated Guidance for carrying out checks on HGVs and PSVs Do you know that DVSA has updated its daily driver walkaround leaflets? You can use these leaflets to remind your drivers what checks they must carry out and record to make sure vehicles are safe to drive. At least one daily walkaround check of the whole vehicle must be made every 24 hours, usually before the vehicle is driven. Goods vehicles Public service...

Swiss haulage agreement

Agreement relates to UK hauliers and commercial bus drivers. The UK has today (25 January 2019) signed the text of an agreement with Switzerland on the international carriage of passengers and goods by road. The agreement will ensure UK hauliers and commercial bus drivers can continue to drive to, from and through, Switzerland after the UK leaves the EU, as they do now. This is one of the positive steps the UK government is taking to maintain our relationship and cooperation with Switzerland as we exit the EU. These measures ensure the continuity of the effects of our currently existing international...

Data Protection and Brexit – Is your organisation prepared?

Guidance to help businesses and charities continue to comply with data protection law after 29 March. Published 28 January 2019 From: Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, Office for Civil Society, and Department for Exiting the European Union If your organisation shares personal data with organisations in the European Economic Area (EEA), you will need to take steps to ensure you continue to comply with data protection laws if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. For UK businesses that only share data within the UK, there will be no change. If your organisation shares personal data with organisations in the European Economic Area (EEA), you will need to take steps to ensure you continue to comply with data protection laws if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. For UK businesses that only share data within the UK, there will be no change. Personal data refers to any information that can be used to identify a living individual, including a customer’s name, their physical or IP address, or HR functions such as staff working hours and payroll details. The UK does not intend to impose additional requirements on transfers of personal data from the UK to the EEA, therefore, organisations will be able to send personal data to organisations in the EEA as they do currently. However, transfers of personal data from the EEA to the UK will become restricted once the UK has left the EU. Therefore, if your organisation receives personal data from organisations in the EU you should consider, with your EEA partners, what changes you may need to make to ensure...

Office of the Traffic Commissioner Licence Refused Due to Poor Operator History

Licence refused due to poor operator history Traffic Commissioner criticises lack of honesty in application process Fair competition is a really important part of operator licensing. As a compliant operator, you expect to have a level playing field when you’re bidding for work against other businesses. And you want those who are trying to cheat the system to be found out and dealt with. Your gatekeepers This is a key priority for the traffic commissioners. They take their role as the industry’s gatekeepers very seriously. That’s why Nick Denton recently called a new licence application to public inquiry. The company had tried to hide its past history during the application process by not declaring a number of matters. This included liquidated companies and illegal operations, along with revoked and curtailed operator licences. Application scrutiny Luckily, the connections were picked up by the Traffic Commissioner’s staff. During the inquiry, Mr Denton was told the application form had been completed by a transport consultant who wasn’t fully aware of the history. But that wasn’t good enough. The company director should’ve taken a much greater interest in the correct and honest completion of the application form. Not fit for a licence By failing to do that he signed an application which contained false information. There’s even a reminder on the form that it’s an offence to make a false declaration – right above where he signed. Mr Denton refused the licence application because of this lack of honesty. He said the company wasn’t fit to hold a...

Office of the Traffic Commissioner Professional Development for Transport Managers

Q&A: professional development for transport managers TMs should possess high-quality, professional knowledge to do their jobs effectively Being a transport manager carries a lot of responsibility. The role isn’t a formality; it’s a serious requirement. A TM can’t just put their name down on a licence – they must actively perform their statutory duty. And it’s important for every transport manager to keep their professional knowledge up to date – i.e. through CPD. What is continuous professional development (CPD)? CPD describes learning activities which professionals proactively undertake to develop and enhance their abilities. Some professions specify those activities but TMs are trusted to identify any areas where they need refresher training. What forms can CPD take? CPD includes training workshops, conferences and events, e-learning/webinars, best practice techniques and sharing ideas. What type of CPD should I start with? A two day transport manager CPC refresher course is a good starting point. This should be run by a trade association, a professional body or an approved exam centre offering the relevant transport manager CPC qualification. How often should I undertake CPD? There is no set frequency. For TMs, traffic commissioners would expect CPD to have been undertaken every five years as a minimum. A lot can change in this time. Since 2013, for example, DVSA’s Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness has been updated a number of times, penalties for mobile phone use have doubled and the use of AdBlue emulators has emerged. When might a traffic commissioner expect evidence of CPD to be provided? CPD evidence will always be required when a transport manager: • hasn’t acted for an operator in...