0800 2797944
  • Birmingham 01217962342
  • Coventry 02477710040
  • Derby 01332497138
  • Guildford 01483663350
  • Hinckley 01455249446
  • Leicester 01162626037
  • Melton Mowbray 01664491730
  • Northampton 01604215928
  • Oxford 01865686330
  • Peterborough 01733796190
  • St Albans 01727223408
  • Slough 01895379940
Book your DCPC courses online Course Calculator Latest News

Transporting Abnormal Loads

Notifying the authorities
Depending on the load you’re moving and your route, you may need to give advance warning to:
• the police
• highway authorities
• bridge and structure owners like Network Rail
You can use Highways England’s electronic service delivery for abnormal loads (ESDAL) to:
• plot your route
• notify the police, highways and bridge authorities of your abnormal load movements around the road network
• get advance notice of any possible route problems
• save vehicle details and routes for future use
If you don’t use ESDAL you must fill in an abnormal loads movement application form.

Give advance notice
You must allow time to get the necessary clearances from the police, highway and bridge authorities. For example, a Special-Order application must be completed 10 weeks before the scheduled date of the move.